Tuesday, February 28, 2012

When you got to go, you got to go...or not?

Greetings family and friends!

I hope that everyone is doing well! Today was a good day here at Wildflower, especially with the kids who never cease to make me laugh. First, I have decided to come up with code names for the children I watch (suggestion from a devoted follower of my blog). They will be:

Poe-Poe: the three-year-old boy who wants ever so badly to be a policeman
Sue: the five-year-old girl (this is my go-to name for all girls, sorry it is not in Thai)
Mai Mow: the two-year-old boy (this is his favorite word to say, meaning "No!"
Baby: the 14 month old

Okay, funny story today. I have been trying (in vain!) to learn Thai and communicate with the children. Well, I asked Queun today how to say "bathroom". I needed to go at the moment, and one of the kids asked me where I was going and I wanted to respond in Thai. A bit of background on Mai Mow. When he has to go to the bathroom, there is no coming up to me and asking to go, or even pointing to, the bathroom. He simply drops his pants in the middle of the play area and says (quite forcefully): "pee pee!" And Queun then scrambles to take his hand and guide him to the desired destination. So, I asked Queun how to say "bathroom" and she tells me (it's "Com Nam" if I remember correctly). I repeat it several times. All of a sudden, I hear a small voice repeating it too. I look over as he repeats it again and proceeds to pull off his shorts and nodding his head as if to say: "Bathroom. Yes, I can go now."  Haha, we both laughed really hard at this.

Also amusing is the fact that when one child here is sick, they all think they are sick. Well, Poe-Poe was running a little fever. So, throughout the day each one of them came up to me (several times) and said "Becca, I hot!" Not only do I have to feel their foreheads, but also their back and stomach and make quite a fuss over them before they are satisfied that I sympathize with them adequately.

This is all I have for now!

6 comments:

  1. Bec!! it's go good to hear how much you're loving it there--those kids sound so darn cute! you write so well i feel like i'm reading a novel! miss you beccc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria!! That's so sweet--haha, I'm glad to hear that you like my writing. I don't even think about it (haha, I don't really have time to!) I just type and hope for the best. If it's any good, then it's all God :)

      Delete
  2. Bec Bec! I’m sitting here with Sarah, and we just read your blogs from start to finish. We are having complete mission envy! We’re so happy you get to experience another culture in such a special way. It’s so evident that God has already begun a transformation in you, and we can’t wait to hear more about where He has taken you. We love especially love hearing about the blessings He graces you with every day…especially the beautiful children! We love you tons and miss you way too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much you two!! I miss y'all so much--that's one thing that never seems to get any easier, how much I miss my friends and family!! But I know that this is where I am supposed to be, so I ask God for the grace everyday to help me get through it. Love you!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Becca!! I am so glad to hear you are having fun! I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences so far, but it also makes me miss you very much. Having that said, I do have a sense of peace though knowing you are living out God's will and having fun doing it. I have faith that you will learn to communicate with them in Thai!! Haha he clearly understood what you meant!! I love and miss you bec and will continue to pray for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great nickname you've got there, Poe-Poe. I wonder who recommended it...

    Also, you were completely correct. I was able to write the poem and my teacher loved it. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete