Friday, February 24, 2012

Happiness=coconut

Hey!

I just wanted everyone to know that I am very happy at this moment. Why, you ask? I am sitting by my computer eating what is called a "burned coconut." It is probably the best thing I have ever eaten. It is exactly what its name is, haha, a coconut that has been burned. I got one of the Vietnamese women to chop off the top for me, I drank the inside (the BEST juice ever!) and now I am eating the inside "meat" that is very easy to spoon out since it has been burned. Not only is this meal delicious, but it is a great source of calcium and magnesium (a bonus for me since I am the prime candidate for osteoporosis, as my mother has told me on several occasions). I will be buying more of these when I go to the fruit market in Chiang Mai this weekend. Also very good that I have discovered while here is something called a Rose Apple--a cross between a plum and an apple (and very good with peanut butter).

haha, funny story about the coconut. I have been wanting to eat it since I bought it this past Sunday, but I have yet to corner one of the Vietnamese women to cut it for me. Well, today I decided to get God in on it. I was like, "Lord, I want to eat this coconut. Today. So, would you be so kind as to make this happen? I'm even willing to share the second one that I bought with the person that cuts it!" A rare thing happened, the Vietnamese women ate supper with us and I saw one of them in the kitchen. "Yay!" I thought, "I can finally eat my coconut!!" I ran back to my room (literally) and grabbed it. She was very sweet and not only did it, but walked me through the process so that I could do it myself for the next one. I remembered my promise to God about sharing and I offered her my second one. She declined (I was secretly excited about this). I offered it to the woman that I work with, she also declined (more relief). Well, the three year old boy in daycare just jumped on my lap and we started talking. He sees me eating my coconut meat and I could tell that he wanted a bite. I had a little less than half left and I tore him off a piece to see if he liked it. Understatement. He loved it. So I offered him the rest and he was so excited--we had a great little bonding moment. After he was done and hoped off my lap, I realized that I was able to share my coconut after all, and I felt so blessed to have had the opportunity. God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?

Okay, cute story about the kids today! The youngest girl, age 14 months, is the CUTEST Thai baby I have ever seen (no, I haven't seen very many, but I'm still pretty sure she'd be the cutest). I play "peekaboo" with her often and she smiles every time. But today, before I could think to do it, she toddled up to me and put both hands over her eyes and smiled as she peeked through the (big) cracks in her fingers. The feeling that came over me as she did this is impossible to describe--it was priceless, confirming for me the reason that I came here, to be here for these children and give them my time and my love. I truly felt that for the first time today--with all of the children in different ways. Today, overall was a blessing.

It didn't seem to start out as such, however! I was feeling very lonely and down, missing my family so much that I felt that same pain of my first night here. The tears threatened to fall all morning and finally fell when...(fun fact about being TALL in a land of SHORT people, everything is just a tad too low for me) I hit my head on the nursery ceiling. I couldn't hold the tears in any more--I was homesick, tired, and in PAIN!! If a plane would have been near, I would have jumped on it that instant to head home. I tried to pray through it, but nothing seemed to help and God seemed so far away. The young woman I was to teach today couldn't make her class, so I had a rare afternoon off. I fixed myself some tea, closed myself in my room, laid on my bed, and proceeded to cry pathetically...

I have a book that Mrs. Robin lent me that I was enjoying, but having trouble connecting with thus far. It is a book that helps you discover who you really are behind all of the walls and false selves that we tend to protect ourselves with. I realized that through this whole process of trying to discover who Rebecca is, I wasn't asking God to journey with me through it. So I asked for his help, put the book away, and picked up a novel I brought for a bit of light reading. After reading for about an hour (and this is VERY rare for me) I was at peace and felt okay with putting the book down. I picked up Mrs. Robin's book again, not really reading it, but just thinking about myself, my past, and what has caused me to build these walls. Gradually, I began to notice things about myself that I had never really paid attention to before. I picked up my journal and suddenly everything started to make more sense--I had a little more incite into myself than I had five minutes ago. And my whole outlook changed--it was amazing the peace that came over me. I was now able to be fully present with the children and enjoy their presence in return. Another answered prayer!

I am learning to trust in God here in Thailand. Even though it is not an easy process, I feel so blessed and thankful for this opportunity. Love all of y'all!! Keep me posted on what's going on in your lives!!
.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rebecca! what a cool blog! it sounds like you are having an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing it via blog! I enjoy reading it! It's no wonder you work at a publishing company...very good writing!
    i do have a question, what's the music like there? do they sing much, and if so what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much Andrew! Um, well I work a lot with the kids, so the songs they sing sound similar to those that the children in the States sing also. Actually, the music that I've heard the women here listening to has the same sound as our music. Haha, just the other day I heard a radio playing and for a moment I could have sworn it was a country song from Alan Jackson!

      The women sing quite often, especially to their children. You here more random bursts of song snippets here than in the States (though, that could be that everyone is just super comfortable here--it's like its own little world)

      Delete
  2. That coconut sounds fantastic! I wish you could give me some virtually. I've decided we should come up with a code name for all these adorable kids you are educating. My name for the little boy is Poe-Poe.

    Also, I a missss you. If you dont' notice, I faithfully read your blog daily and always comment. How about that?! I also miss you terribly because I am learning that I am a terrible writer (via my creative writing class). My teacher hasn't told me that, but we're learning poetry and seriously, the more I learn, the more I can't write. I trying to respond to this poet's poem (it's about suicide, how lovely?) and I have been just staring at a blank page. How I could use your wit and English skills! Oh well, I will have to make do. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of code names (haha, love the Poe-Poe reference--fit's perfectly with this one) I think they have a new app on the iPhone that sends virtual coconut..too bad I don't have said phone

      I have noticed how faithful you are in reading and replying to my blog :D Haha, your devotion keeps me blogging!

      And you should know that poetry is only a small facet to creative writing. I have always found poetry very objective and open to many different interpretations (and also the most difficult to write because of this). Someone may like one style of poetry and be completely closed minded about another (like your teacher). Just wait until you write something other than poetry--you'll find that more to your liking, I believe (haha, or at least I did). Your writing skill are phenomenal The Tregre--don't let anyone tell you different!
      Love and miss you!!

      Delete