Friday, March 16, 2012

Some Cute and Funny things

Hello!

Okay, I want to start out with a very cute little story about Fa Fung (pseudonym), the 14 month old little girl that recently came back to the nursery (She made an appearance in one of my earlier posts, I think). She has been a bit fussy and not taking very well to the nursery and all of the commotion that can happen over there. While she does like me and tolerates my holding her, she prefers Queyn (I don't take this personally, as Queyn has know her longer than I have). So, the other day we were about to head over to the Sala to drop the children off to their parents. Well, Queyn had her hands full with her own bags and quickly plopped Fa Fung into my arms. Side note: I had been making her more comfortable with me all day by taking her out into the sandpit and playing peek-a-boo with her (she LOVES peek-a-boo). So, Fa Fung has just realized the change in her carrier. She looks at me and just stares for about 30 seconds (a long time, actually). I don't make a move, haha, I'm terrified that she's about to start screaming. All of a sudden, she slaps both hands over her eyes and peeks out from behind the cracks in her fingers! She wants to play peek-a-boo!! I laughed and she smiled and we had a nice long game of peek-a-boo.

It's too funny--all of the kids here at Wildflower have their own little pronunciations of my name and simply LOVE to yell it at the top of their lungs any time they see me around the property. Meredith, one of the staff here, commented the other day that I have my own fan club, haha, and that is kinda what it feels like. If I'm not behind the closed door of my room, then I am fair game for Mai Mow to climb up on my lap while I type an e-mail or  Poe-Poe to show me his (many) drawings. Poe-Poe also likes to show that he remembers our English lessons, so when I see him he shouts: "Becca! G makes 'guh, guh' sound like 'gun'!" (I did not teach him "gun," the book we are using has a picture of a gun next to the letter G...who puts that kind of stuff for children to learn?!). Haha, people kind of look at me funny when he shouts gun--I give a nervous laugh and quickly tell them he didn't learn it from me! We are having A LOT of difficulty with E and H right now, so I hope to hear those letters shouted at me soon!

Funny thing happened to me the other day. There was an uncharacteristic wind and rain storm here in Chiang Mai. Well, I hang some clothes up to dry earlier that morning (when there was NO wind) and I just kind of draped them over the wire--no clothespins necessary...haha, not funny. Anyway, the wind starts kicking up in the afternoon (scaring Mai Mow, poor thing, every time it blew really hard he would run to me and point outside). Okay, so I get off babysitting, head down to my house to fix the usual sandwich (it really does taste like a little piece of heaven--finding sandwich meat over here is next to impossible) and grab the clothes off the line. The clothes line is on the balcony of the second floor and my clothes have all been pushed together from the wind with only one shirt that had fallen off.

I dust everything off and start to head inside when something in the pond catches my eye. Could that be...no, it couldn't be!! Yes, it is. My capris are caught on a branch in the water near the edge of the pond... I run downstairs, grab the outside broom and gingerly make my way down the pond's steep edge. There are two fern-like plants on either side of me...both with very sharp thorns. I grab hold of the branch above my head and inch down a little further, extending the handle of my broom to get under them and hopefully lift them out. I just get a tenuous grip on the pants when my foot starts to steadily slip and then...the broom breaks!! Well darn it! Stupid broom--it wasn't long enough anyway.

Looking around for a more promising tool, I see a mop on the first floor balcony. I gingerly make my way up the little incline (darn you thorny ferns!) and run for the mop. Long story short, the capris are retrieved after...the branch I am holding onto breaks in half and I fall on my butt and get a few more scratches. Haha, needless to say, I clothespin ALL of my clothes to the line now!

Love all of yall!! Keep me posted on how everything is going!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Rebecca, love your post. I am praying for you- so glad all is going well, minus the clothing incidents. :) Stay safe and see you when you come home! love, Aunt Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that amazing that your problems of the day consist of clothespinning? I. love. it. I also miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahhahahah...i would have loved to have watched you throughout your little adventure! hahahahahahhahha so funny!

    ReplyDelete