Saturday, March 10, 2012

For Lack of a Better Title: My morning!

Hello there everyone!

As I brush off the paw-prints of a cat who just walked across my computer, I try to think of what I should write about for you all...

Haha, it's been pretty calm over here--and by calm I mean busy, tiring, frustrating at times, but ultimately...worth it all! I'll explain what I mean by this contradictory statement.

Upon waking up from a rough night sleep (I have the communal daycare cold, the result of being the human tissue to their various snotty noses...I was bound to catch it at some point) and hearing the usual rooster (it sounds like he also has a cold this morning) crow at top pitch, I jump out of bed, intent on getting a quick load of clothes washed and hung before 7 o'clock. Why so early on a Saturday morning when I don't have to report to the daycare until 8:30 (as opposed to the significantly different 8:00)? Well, it is my Saturday morning ritual to skype with my family at precisely 7:15 because that gives them 15 minutes to get home from Way of the Cross, settle down, and all gather around the phone to hear their favorite family member (haha, kidding, of course).

As I let my clothes soak for 25-ish minutes, I grab a mango, a banana, and some peanut butter and settle down for breakfast, I realize that I'm running a bit late--shocker I know because you can ALL attest to how timely I am!! (btw, Mango + banana and peanut butter = heaven breakfast. I don't think I'll be the same at home without my daily mango...) Anyway, the clothes, of course, didn't get hung to dry until 7:05 and as 7:15 rolls around, I grab my iPod and head to what is known as the T.V. room. Here is a picture of my walkway that I have to traverse several times a day:

Sprinting down this path, I am met with 7 or 8 spider webs, even though the other woman who lives in the house with me has already gone down this path and presumably knocked them all down herself. I swear, you'd think the spiders would communicate a bit better--this happens EVERY morning (and even several times during the day)--they need to spread the word that their webs will only last for about 8 hours, max.

Anyway, I get the key to the T.V. room, but it doesn't work--I'm panicking--it's 7:17 at this point. I run around, find another key and the lock clicks! Finally! Okay, so I get in the room only  to realize that I have the wrong headphones!! I need the one with the microphone since it is my ipod!!  Dashing out the room, I run back to my room (darn the spider webs!! how did they have time to weave another web! Why don't they learn!!), grab the headphones, and run back to the T.V. room (hehe, this time I run hunched over, below the branches--I've gotten smart). My mother has texted me by this point, wondering why I haven't answered her skype call. I'm flustered, mad that I lost precious moments talking with my family, and resenting the cold that the kids have given me.

Even in my sour mood, I have a nice talk with my family, getting to talk to Renee, Stephen (haha, very briefly--"hey Bec, how's it going?"), mom, and Sarah (from a distance as she was in the middle of cooking and I was on speaker). After our 45 minute talk (it should have been an hour, but, as I said, for some strange reason I was late) I head over to the daycare, I little down in my spirits. I feel this way after any form of communication with my family--I just miss them so much!

As I near the daycare, I look up to see Mai Mow standing next to his mother. Now, Mai Mow is very attached to his mother and wary of strangers. He has warmed up to me a great deal in the 3 and a half weeks I've been here, calling me "Occa!" and constantly coming up to me to put together these connecting blocks that he pulls apart within the next five seconds... Anyway, as I look up, his mother points to me and he looks up. A huge smile spreads across his face. Smiling back, I wave to him and yell good morning. He waves back and his mother motions him to go to me. He takes off running with his hands in the air, giggling the cutest little giggle. I scoop him up and hug him to me as we enter the daycare.

These are the moments that make it all worthwhile. The ones that lift my spirits right back up, and make me realize just why I am here.

1 comment:

  1. hey bec bec! still haven't had a chance to respond to your email, but i just had to read one of your blogs. reading about your life just makes me so so so happy! i miss you tons, and i can't wait to see you! how much longer?!?!?praying for you!

    ReplyDelete